CAVP Certification for MachXO3D FPGAs Enables Communication/Compute, Industrial and Automotive Systems to Protect, Detect and Recover from Attacks
HILLSBORO, OR – October 16, 2019 – Lattice Semiconductor Corporation (NASDAQ: LSCC), the low power programmable leader, today announced its MachXO3D™ FPGAs for secure system control received the National Institute of Standards and Technology’s (NIST) Cryptographic Algorithm Validation Program (CAVP) certification. CAVP certification validates that critical MachXO3D cryptographic algorithms are compliant with Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS), the U.S. federal government’s standard for cryptographic software. By complying with both the CAVP and NIST’s Platform Firmware Resilience specifications, the MachXO3D FPGA’s security mechanisms can protect, detect and recover the device and other system components from unauthorized firmware access throughout its operating life: from the device’s initial integration, through system shipment, installation and its entire operational life.
“Securing hardware against unauthorized access is critical to preventing the potentially catastrophic damage caused by data and design theft, product cloning and overbuilding, and device tampering or hijacking. However, the threat landscape is constantly evolving, making it difficult for OEMs to confirm their system’s hardware is truly protected,” said Jim Tavacoli, Senior Director of Product Marketing, Lattice Semiconductor. “By obtaining CAVP certification for our MachXO3D FPGAs, Lattice addresses many of the hardware security concerns the industrial, automotive and computing markets currently face by assuring OEMs that their systems are protected by cryptographic solutions independently certified to be compliant with stringent U.S. government regulations.”
MachXO3D is the only FPGA on the market that combines the design flexibility of programmable logic with a secure dual-boot configuration block to provide easy application design, establish a hardware-based Root of Trust to ensure system components only boot from authorized firmware, and enable secure delivery of firmware updates in the field. Key features of the MachXO3D include:
- Up to 9K look-up tables for implementing logic that instantly configures at power up from on-device flash memory
- On-device regulator for single 2.5/3.3-volt power supply operation
- Support for up to 2700 Kbits of user flash memory and up to 430 Kbits sysMEM™ embedded block RAM to provide more flexible design options
- Up to 383 I/Os, configurable to support LVCMOS 3.3 to 1.0, and designed to integrate into a wide variety of system environments with features such as hot-socketing, default pull-down, input hysteresis, and programmable slew rate
- Embedded security block that provides pre-verified hardware support for cryptographic functions such as ECDSA256, ECIES, AES, SHA, HMAC, TRNG, Unique Secure ID and Public/Private Key Generation
- Embedded secure configuration engine to ensure only FPGA configurations from a trusted source can be installed
- Dual on-device configuration memories to enable fail-safe reprogramming of component firmware in the event of compromise
Samples of the MachXO3D are available now. For more information, please visit http://www.latticesemi.com/MachXO3D.
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) provides technology, measurement, and standards to various industries, helping them become more secure and globally competitive. For more information about the MachXO3D FPGAs CAVP certification, including its implementation, operational environment, validation date and algorithm, please visit https://csrc.nist.gov/projects/cryptographic-algorithm-validation-program/details?validation=31395.
About Lattice Semiconductor
Lattice Semiconductor (NASDAQ: LSCC) is the low power programmable leader. We solve customer problems across the network, from the Edge to the Cloud, in the growing communications, computing, industrial, automotive and consumer markets. Our technology, long-standing relationships, and commitment to world-class support lets our customers quickly and easily unleash their innovation to create a smart, secure and connected world.
For more information about Lattice, please visit www.latticesemi.com.