Global Semiconductor Equipment Sales Forecast - 2020 Rebound, 2021 Record High
TOKYO – December 11, 2019 – Global semiconductor manufacturing equipment sales will drop 10.5 percent to $57.6 billion in 2019 from last year’s historic peak of $64.4 billion but stage a 2020 recovery and set a new high in 2021, SEMI, the global industry association representing the electronics manufacturing and design supply chain, reported today in its Year-End Total Equipment Forecast.
Released at SEMICON Japan 2019, the forecast shows equipment sales registering a 5.5 percent increase to $60.8 billion in 2020 and continued expansion into 2021, with record revenues of $66.8 billion as leading device manufactures invest in sub-10nm equipment, especially for foundry and logic.
The SEMI year-end forecast shows sales of wafer fab equipment – consisting of wafer processing, fab facility and mask/reticle equipment – falling 9 percent in 2019 to $49.9 billion. The assembly and packaging equipment segment is on track to decline 26.1 percent to $2.9 billion in 2019, while semiconductor test equipment is forecast to drop 14.0 percent to $4.8 billion this year.
Taiwan will dethrone Korea as the largest equipment market and lead the world with 53.3 percent growth this year, followed by North America with a 33.6 percent uptick. China will maintain the second spot for the second consecutive year, and Korea will fall to third after throttling back capital expenditures. All regions tracked except Taiwan and North America will contract this year.
SEMI expects the 2020 equipment market recovery to be fueled by advanced logic and foundry, new projects in China, and, to a lesser extent, memory. In Europe, equipment sales will surge 45.9 percent to $3.3 billion. Taiwan is forecast to remain the top equipment market next year on the strength of $15.4 billion in sales, with China second at $14.9 billion and Korea third at $10.3 billion. More upside is likely if the macroeconomy improves and trade tensions subside in 2020.
In 2021, all sectors tracked are expected to grow and the memory spending recovery will hit full stride. China is expected to ascend to the top position with equipment sales of more than $16 billion, followed by Korea, and Taiwan.
The Year-End Total Equipment Forecast is based on SEMI's industry-recognized World Fab Forecast database and input from equipment manufacturers. Total equipment includes wafer processing, fab facilities, mask/reticle, total test, and assembly and packaging equipment.
The following results reflect market size in billions of U.S. dollars.
The Equipment Market Data Subscription (EMDS) from SEMI provides comprehensive market data for the global semiconductor equipment market. A subscription includes three reports:
- Monthly SEMI Billings Report, a perspective of equipment market trends
- Monthly Worldwide Semiconductor Equipment Market Statistics (SEMS), a detailed report of semiconductor equipment bookings and billings for seven regions and over 22 market segments
- SEMI Mid-Year Forecast, a semiconductor equipment market outlook
For more information or to subscribe, please contact SEMI customer service at 1.877.746.7788 (toll free in the U.S.). For more information online, please click here.
SEMI® connects more than 2,100 member companies and 1.3 million professionals worldwide to advance the technology and business of electronics design and manufacturing. SEMI members are responsible for the innovations in materials, design, equipment, software, devices, and services that enable smarter, faster, more powerful, and more affordable electronic products. Electronic System Design Alliance (ESD Alliance), FlexTech, the Fab Owners Alliance (FOA) and the MEMS & Sensors Industry Group (MSIG) are SEMI Strategic Association Partners, defined communities within SEMI focused on specific technologies. Visit www.semi.org
Search Silicon IP
- Global Total Semiconductor Equipment Sales Forecast to Reach Record High in 2022, SEMI Reports
- Semiconductor Equipment Sales Forecast: $62 Billion in 2018 A New Record, Market Reset in 2019 with New High in 2020
- 2021 Global Semiconductor Equipment Sales Surge 44% to Industry Record $102.6 Billion, SEMI Reports
- Second Quarter 2021 Global Semiconductor Equipment Billings Surge 48% Year-Over-Year to Record High of $24 Billion, SEMI Reports
- 2020 Global Semiconductor Equipment Sales Surge 19% to Industry Record $71.2 Billion, SEMI Reports
- Semidynamics announces largest, fully customisable Vector Unit in the RISC-V market, delivering up to 2048b of computation per cycle for unprecedented data handling
- NVIDIA Collaborates With SoftBank Corp. to Power SoftBank's Next-Gen Data Centers Using Grace Hopper Superchip for Generative AI and 5G/6G
- UltraRISC Selects Valtrix STING for Verification of RISC-V SoC Designs
- The game-changing addition of intoPIX JPEG XS codec by Providius heralds a new era of IP media analysis
- Xiphera extends its Transport Layer Security product family
- Intel Foundry Services Ushers in a New Era
- Nanusens announces that it can now create ASICs with embedded sensors
- MIPS Leverages Siemens' Veloce proFPGA platform to Implement and Make Available Capabilities of its New High-Performance eVocore P8700 RISC-V Multiprocessor
- New Arm Total Compute Solutions enable a mobile future built on Arm
- U.S. Government Accredits GlobalFoundries to Manufacture Trusted Semiconductors at New York Facility
|E-mail This Article||Printer-Friendly Page|