NXP Announces Lead Partnership for Arm Ethos-U55 Neural Processing Unit for Machine Learning
February 24, 2020 -- NXP Semiconductors today announced its lead partnership for the Arm® Ethos™-U55 microNPU (Neural Processing Unit), a machine learning (ML) processor targeted at resource-constrained industrial and Internet-of-Things (IoT) edge devices. As an industry-leading innovator of microcontrollers (MCUs), NXP intends to implement the Ethos-U55 in its Arm Cortex®-M based microcontrollers (MCUs), crossover MCUs and real-time sub-systems in applications processors. The expansion builds on the company’s growing ML offerings, including the recently announced i.MX 8M Plus applications processors with dedicated NPU.
The highly configurable Ethos-U55 works in concert with the Cortex-M core to achieve a small footprint while also delivering greater than 30x improvement in inference performance compared to Cortex-M alone, even in high performing MCUs. The Ethos-U55 is highly configurable and specifically designed to accelerate ML inference in area-constrained embedded and IoT devices. Its advanced compression techniques save power and reduce ML model sizes significantly to enable execution of neural networks that previously only ran on larger systems. In addition, a unified toolchain with Cortex-M gives developers a simplified, seamless path to develop ML applications within the familiar Cortex-M development environment. The end-to-end enablement, from training to run-time inference deployment for Ethos-U55, will be accessible through NXP’s eIQ machine learning development environment.
NXP’s comprehensive portfolio of ML compute elements (CPU, GPU, DSP and NPU) are enabled with its eIQ machine learning development environment, which provides choices of popular open-source inference engines that deliver the performance needed for the specific compute element. Using NXP’s edge processors and eIQ tools, customers can easily build many ML applications, including, object detection, face and gesture recognition, natural language processing, and predictive maintenance.
Search Silicon IP
NXP Hot IP
- Latest NPU adds to Arm's AI Platform performance, applicability, and efficiency
- Next-generation Armv8.1-M architecture: Delivering enhanced machine learning and signal processing for the smallest embedded devices
- IAR Systems enables high-performance machine learning based on latest neural network library from Arm
- OPENEDGES Announces the Industry First 4-/8-bit Mixed-Precision Neural Network Processing Unit IP
- OmniVision Announces World's First Dedicated Driver Monitoring System ASIC With Integrated AI Neural Processing Unit, Image Signal Processor and DDR3 Memory
- Cortus Launches ULYSS automotive MCU family
- Infineon's HYPERRAM™ 3.0 memory and Autotalks' 3rd generation chipset drive next-generation automotive V2X applications
- Q1 2023 Global Semiconductor Equipment Billings Grow 9% Year-Over-Year, SEMI Reports
- Computex 2023 Reveals Taiwan's Critical Role in AI
- Leading Aerospace and Defense Company purchases Interlaken IP core from Comcores
- Green Hills Software adds support for production-ready RTOS and tools to Imagination Technologies' RISC-V CPUs
- Nanusens announces that it can now create ASICs with embedded sensors
- Kalray Announces Production Launch of New "Coolidge™2" DPU Processor Optimized for AI and Intensive Data Processing
- Arm SystemReady surpasses 100 certifications, driving standardization where it matters
- GlobalFoundries and STMicroelectronics Finalize Agreement for New 300mm Semiconductor Manufacturing Facility in France
|E-mail This Article||Printer-Friendly Page|