- First RapidChip slice to embed 200MHz ARM926EJ-S™ processor
- Up to 2.5 million usable gates and 2.0 megabits configurable diffused RAM
- Embedded SerDes supports multiple high-speed I/Os up to 3.1875Gbps on a single slice
- RapidChip IP-rich slices available now
MILPITAS, Calif., March 3, 2003 – LSI Logic Corporation (NYSE: LSI) announced today the availability of seven user-configurable RapidChip™ slices that free designers to create custom logic solutions for a broad range of applications in as little as six months.
The RapidChip family of slices provides unmatched standards-compliant serializer/deserializer (SerDes) technology, high performance ARM processors, and extensive logic and memory integration capabilities. The slices are aimed at the communications, storage and consumer markets.
As part of the RapidChip design platform, LSI Logic's family of seven IP-rich slices address the market gap between FPGAs and cell-based ASICs by combining the benefits of both solutions; the density, performance and power found in cell-based ASICs and the fast time-to-market and lower development costs typically found in FPGAs.
"The new RapidChip slices we're announcing today underscore our commitment to provide ground-breaking technology for a broad range of applications," said Ronnie Vasishta, vice president, ASIC Technical Marketing, LSI Logic Corporation. "These slices open a host of opportunities for designers by giving them access to complex technology and a long list of CoreWare IP, while allowing them to hit very short market windows. With RapidChip, engineers start much further ahead in the design process because the most complex IP is already built and proven in silicon waiting for the customer's logic."
- Standards-compliant GigaBlaze® SerDes technology supporting several interfaces such as 1 and 10Gbit Ethernet, Fibre Channel, Serial ATA, Serial Attached SCSI and more
- Customer logic configured in upper layers of metal stack
- User-configurable I/O pins from 304 to 638
- Prediffused and soft IP ARM cores including ARM7TDMI-S™, ARM966E-S™ and ARM926EJ-S™, with up to 200MHz performance, along with associated subsystems and peripherals
- Easy migration path to full custom ASIC
- Between 500,000 and 2.5 million high-performance usable logic gates
- 2.0 megabits diffused RAM, offered in single port, 2-port and dual-port configurations
- Additional compiled memory is available using configurable logic
- Market-proven IP from the LSI Logic CoreWare design program http://www.lsilogic.com/products/coreware/index.html
The RapidChip semiconductor platform combines the high-density, high-performance benefits of cell-based ASICs with the fast time-to-market and customization benefits of FPGAs, and the proven IP benefits of ASSPs. Targeting the Communications, Consumer and Storage markets, RapidChip uses LSI Logic's high-performance field-tested CoreWare® IP, customizable logic, embedded memory, and innovative design concepts to significantly reduce design and manufacturing risk and costs. RapidChip also provides a fast and seamless migration path to full standard-cell ASIC - driving unit costs even lower.
Unique to RapidChip is the customer-friendly interface that dramatically simplifies the underlying complexity of the design tools and flows associated with SoC design. Rule sets automatically manage architectural design, verification, and physical design. As a result, design schedules for high-performance chips are very predictable. Information on RapidChip technology is available through LSI Logic's direct sales channels and worldwide distribution partners.
About LSI Logic Corporation
LSI Logic Corporation (NYSE: LSI) is a leading designer and manufacturer of communications, consumer and storage semiconductors for applications that access, interconnect and store data, voice and video. In addition, the company supplies storage network solutions for the enterprise. LSI Logic is headquartered at 1621 Barber Lane, Milpitas, CA 95035. http://www.lsilogic.com.