HSINCHU, Taiwan, R.O.C., Jul. 14, 2022 -- TSMC (TWSE: 2330, NYSE: TSM) today announced consolidated revenue of NT$534.14 billion, net income of NT$237.03 billion, and diluted earnings per share of NT$9.14 (US$1.55 per ADR unit) for the second quarter ended June 30, 2022.
Year-over-year, second quarter revenue increased 43.5% while net income and diluted EPS both increased 76.4%. Compared to first quarter 2022, second quarter results represented an 8.8% increase in revenue and a 16.9% increase in net income. All figures were prepared in accordance with TIFRS on a consolidated basis.
In US dollars, second quarter revenue was $18.16 billion, which increased 36.6% year-over-year and increased 3.4% from the previous quarter.
Gross margin for the quarter was 59.1%, operating margin was 49.1%, and net profit margin was 44.4%.
In the second quarter, shipments of 5-nanometer accounted for 21% of total wafer revenue; 7- nanometer accounted for 30%. Advanced technologies, defined as 7-nanometer and more advanced technologies, accounted for 51% of total wafer revenue.
“Our second quarter business was supported by HPC, IoT and Automotive-related demand,” said Wendell Huang, VP and Chief Financial Officer of TSMC. “Moving into third quarter 2022, we ,expect our business to be supported by continued demand for our industry-leading 5nm and 7nm technologies.”
Based on the Company’s current business outlook, management expects the overall performance
for third quarter 2022 to be as follows:
- Revenue is expected to be between US$19.8 billion and US$20.6 billion;
And, based on the exchange rate assumption of 1 US dollar to 29.7 NT dollars,
- Gross profit margin is expected to be between 57.5% and 59.5%;
- Operating profit margin is expected to be between 47% and 49%.
TSMC's 2022 second Quarter Consolidated results:
(Unit: NT$ million, except for EPS)
| ||2Q22 |
|YoY Inc. (Dec.) % ||1Q22 Amount ||QoQ Inc. (Dec.) % |
|Net Sales ||534,141 ||372,145 ||43.5 ||491,076 ||8.8 |
|Gross profit ||315,468 ||186,197 ||69.4 ||273,203 ||15.5 |
|Income from operations ||262,124 ||145,667 ||79.9 ||223,790 ||17.1 |
|Income before tax ||265,998 ||149,391 ||78.1 ||226,832 ||17.3 |
|Net income ||237,027 ||134,359 ||76.4 ||202,733 ||16.9 |
|EPS (NTS) ||9.14b ||5.18b ||76.4 ||7.82b ||16.9 |
a: 2Q2022 figures have not bee approved by Board of Directors
b: Based on 25,930 million weighted average outstanding shares