MIPS Technologies Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal 2003 Financial Results
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., July 23, 2003 - MIPS Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: MIPS, MIPSB) today reported financial results for its fourth quarter and fiscal year ended June 30, 2003. Revenue for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2003 grew by 3 percent over the third quarter of fiscal 2003, primarily as a result of an increase in contract revenues. In addition, as previously announced in May 2003, the company implemented a restructuring plan that is expected to be concluded by September 2003.
Total revenue for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2003 was $9.8 million, a 7 percent decline compared to $10.5 million for the same quarter a year ago. Contract revenue was $6.1 million, a decrease of 17 percent compared to $7.3 million in the comparable period in fiscal 2002. Royalties were $3.7 million, an increase of 15 percent compared to $3.2 million in the same quarter a year ago. Net loss for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2003, which included a restructuring charge of $2.7 million, was $6.7 million compared to a net loss of $3.3 million for the same quarter a year ago. Net loss per share for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2003 was $0.17 compared to a net loss per share of $0.08 for the same quarter a year ago.
Total revenue for fiscal year 2003 was $39.1 million, a decrease of 18 percent compared to $47.8 million in fiscal 2002. Contract revenue was $23.4 million, a decline of 25 percent compared to $31.0 million in 2002. Royalties were $15.7 million, a decrease of 7 percent compared to $16.8 million in fiscal 2002. Net loss for fiscal 2003 was $28.9 million compared to a net loss of $9.4 million in fiscal 2002. Fiscal 2003 net loss per share was $0.73 compared to a net loss per share of $0.24 in fiscal 2002.
"Despite fiscal year 2003's reduced contract revenue when compared to fiscal year 2002, we were pleased with the 23% year-over-year increase in royalties excluding royalties from Nintendo," said Casey Eichler, chief financial officer for MIPS Technologies. "Our restructuring plans are on track to be completed by the end of September and we reiterate our guidance for breakeven by the December quarter."
"We believe that quarterly revenues stabilized during the recently concluded fiscal year. During the course of this year, we took some difficult, but appropriate, actions to reduce spending which we believe will set the stage for profitability during the second half of fiscal 2004," said John Bourgoin, Chairman & CEO. "We have also strengthened our development capability in key product areas such as synthesizable cores, and we expect to add to our industry-leading synthesizable core product offerings during the coming quarters."
MIPS invites you to listen to management's discussion of Q4 and fiscal 2003 results and guidance for fiscal 2004 in a live conference call today beginning at 1:45 p.m. Pacific. Conference call number is 1-719-457-2626. Replay number is 1-719-457-0820 and will be available for 5 days, beginning shortly after the end of the conference call. The access code is 426918. An audio replay of the conference call will be posted on the Company's website (www.mips.com/content/Corporate/InvestorRelations/ir) soon thereafter.
MIPS Technologies, Inc.
MIPS Technologies, Inc. is a leading provider of industry standard processor architectures and cores for digital consumer and business applications. The company drives the broadest architectural alliance that is delivering 32- and 64-bit embedded RISC solutions. The company licenses its intellectual property to semiconductor companies, ASIC developers, and system OEMs. MIPS Technologies, Inc. and its licensees offer the widest range of robust, scalable processors in standard, custom, semi-custom and application-specific products. MIPS Technologies, Inc. is based in Mountain View, California, and can be reached at 650-567-5000 or www.mips.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements regarding the ability of MIPS Technologies to achieve breakeven and to generate profit and the anticipated timing thereof, future revenue, future events or the future financial performance of MIPS Technologies, Inc., including those relating to relationships with our strategic partners and industry trends. Actual events or results may differ materially. Many factors could cause the actual results to differ materially from those contained in such forward-looking statements, including but not limited to: that products may fail to achieve market acceptance, changes in our research and development expenses, the anticipated benefits of our partnering relationships may be more difficult to achieve than expected, the timing of or delays in customer orders, delays in the design process, the length of MIPS Technologies' sales cycle, MIPS Technologies' ability to develop, introduce and market new products and product enhancements, and the level of demand for semiconductors and end-user products that incorporate semiconductors. With respect to MIPS Technologies, we refer you to the documents filed from time to time with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended June 30, 2002 and subsequent Forms 10-Q and 8-K.
FY2003 Highlights: Following are selected press release headlines from MIPS Technologies, and the company's licensees, systems vendors and third party providers.
- MIPS Technologies Introduces New Microarchitecture For the Next-Generation of Embedded Designs
- MIPS Technologies Appoints Chief Technology Officer
- Wintegra Adds to MIPS-based™ Family of Devices for DSLAMs
- New MIPS-based™ Family of Embedded Processors from QuickLogic Expands QuickMIPS™ FPGA-Enabled Product Offering
- Sharp Taps MIPS Technologies' Secure Data Processors to Develop Family of Next-Generation Smart Card Microcontrollers
- Broad Range of MIPS-Based™ Solutions Displayed At 2003 Embedded Systems Conference (ESC) in San Francisco
- MIPS Technologies, Inc. Announces Support for Microsoft's Windows CE .NET 4.2 Operating System
- MIPS Technologies' Processor Core Powers Infineon's Voice-over-IP Solution
- MIPS Technologies, with Leading Industry and Government Executives, Marks One-Year Taiwan Anniversary
- MIPS Technologies Partners with Socle of Taiwan to Offer ASIC Design Services for Fabless Companies and System OEMs
- New MIPS-Based™ SOC from ADMtek of Taiwan Targets Burgeoning Worldwide Home Gateway Market
- MIPS Technologies Licenses 32-Bit Processor Cores to Metalink for Next-Generation Broadband Access Solutions
- MIPS Technologies' Licenses Family of 32-Bit Processor Cores to Cirrus Logic
- MIPS Technologies Licenses 32-Bit Processor Core IP to Sunplus Technology for Next-Generation Consumer Electronics Products
- MIPS Technologies' Pro Series™ Cores Enable SOC Designers to Supercharge Application Performance
- VoCAL Adds DSP Functionality to MIPS Technologies' New 32-Bit Pro Series™ Cores
- Avaz Networks Uses Pro Series™ Core from MIPS Technologies To Eliminate Need for DSP Block in VoIP Applications
- MIPS Technologies Publishes EEMBC Benchmarks for Industry Standard MIPS64™ 20Kc™ Core
- 2003 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) Forum for MIPS-Based™ Announcements
- MIPS Technologies Introduces the Most Secure Licensable Processor Core
- MIPS Technologies Licenses 32-Bit Processor Core IP to Micronas for Next-Generation Consumer Electronics Products
- MIPS Technologies' Low-Power Core Delivers the Performance Needed for Thrane & Thrane Satellite Mobile Phone
- MIPS Technologies' Processor Core Powers ViXS' Video-over-IP Solution
- MIPS Technologies Licenses 32-Bit Processor Cores to Zoran for Next-Generation Consumer Electronics Products
- MIPS Technologies Core Powers NEC's New SOC for Set-Tops and DTVs
- MIPS Technologies Announces Update of Windows CE .NET Supports 32-, 64-Bit MIPS-Based™ Microprocessors
- MIPS Technologies Launches System-Level Solution To Increase Overall SOC Performance
- MIPS Technologies Licenses 32-Bit Core to Proxim for Use in High-Speed Wireless Networking Products
- MIPS Technologies Acquires Leading GNU Tool Chain Company,UK-Based Algorithmics
- MIPS Technologies Licenses Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. MIPS64™ Processor Architecture
- MIPS Technologies Licenses 64-Bit Processor Core to Marvell®
- Centillium Communications to Utilize MIPS Technologies' 32-Bit Processor Cores
MIPS TECHNOLOGIES, INC.
CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF OPERATIONS
(In thousands, except per share data)
Three Months Ended
Twelve Months Ended
|Contract revenue|| 6,103 || 7,335 || 23,397 || 30,970 |
| || |
|Costs and expenses:|
|Cost of contract revenue||-||-||250||250|
|Research and development||7,613||8,730||32,863||34,045|
|Sales and marketing||3,253||3,920||13,759||17,189|
|General and administrative||2,341||1,928||8,508||7,435|
|Aquired in process research |
|Restructuring||2,665 ||- ||10,282 ||437 |
|Total costs and expenses|| 15,872 || 14,578 || 66,056 || 61,093 |
|Other income (expense), net|| 314 || 614 || 303 || 3,028 |
|Loss before income taxes||(5,764)||(3,418)||(26,663)||(10,304)|
|Provision (benefit) for income taxes|| 945 || (134) || 2,244 || (914) |
|Net loss || $(6,709) || $(3,284) || $(28,907) || $(9,390) |
| || || || |
|Net loss per basic and diluted share|| $(0.17) || $(0.08) || $(0.73) || $(0.24) |
|Common shares outstanding-basic and diluted|| 39,866 || 39,144 || 39,505 || 39,013 |
MIPS TECHNOLOGIES, INC.
CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS
| || |
|Cash and cash equivalents||$83,839||$90,712|
|Prepaid expenses and other |
| 3,648 || 9,883 |
|Total current assets||92,249||111,641|
|Equipment and furniture, net||4,202||7,481|
|Other assets || 8,898 || 9,866 |
| $105,349 || $128,988 |
Liabilities and Stockholders' Equity
|Deferred revenue || 2,592 || 2,911 |
|Total current liabilities||14,073||12,323|
| || |
|Stockholders' equity|| 89,376 || 115,895 |
| 105,349 || $128,988 |
- Analog Devices Announces Combination with Maxim Integrated, Strengthening Analog Semiconductor Leadership
- ESD Alliance Reports Electronic Design Automation Industry Revenue Growth for Q1 2020
- DMP releases AI Processor IP Core "ZIA DV740"
- DMP releases IP Core "ZIA ISP"
- Mentor collaborates with Samsung Foundry to boost product yield and streamline in-fab memory testing
|E-mail This Article||Printer-Friendly Page|