First U.S. Product Demonstration to Take Place at electronicaUSASAN FRANCISCO , Calif., March 29, 2004
-- Toshiba America Electronic Components, Inc. (TAEC)* today announced its third TX System RISC platform for residential home gateway applications. Developed in collaboration with Sigma Designs and designated WVM49RX, the new reference design combines the Toshiba TMPR4925 or TMPR4926 MIPS-based™ RISC processor with the Sigma Designs EM8485 MPEG-1/-2/-4 decoder chip and supports MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 decoding for high-quality audio/video streaming. WVM49RX is targeted at client platforms and enables the rapid development of a low-cost media gateway, IP set-top box or video endpoint. TAEC will make its reference design available to manufacturers seeking to reduce development costs and speed time-to-market starting in the second quarter of 2004. The first U.S. demonstration will take place here at electronicaUSA.
"Based on our overall strategy to offer complete platform solutions for focused segments, we co-developed the WVM49RX for the home residential gateway market. It is a highly integrated, flexible and cost-effective reference design that includes a Toshiba TMPR4925/26 MIPS-based RISC processor, a Toshiba TC86C001FG IDE/USB companion chip and the Sigma Designs EM8485 MPEG-1/2/4 decoder, all running under the MontaVista Linux operating system," said Shardul Kazi, vice president of the TX-RISC Business Unit at TAEC.
"We see a variety of new consumer product opportunities for this type of digital home gateway. The new Toshiba reference design is a natural collaboration between Sigma and Toshiba in supporting the co-development of the new WVM49RX," said Ken Lowe, vice president of strategic marketing at Sigma Designs.Highlights of the WVM49RX reference design include the following:
- Toshiba 200 megahertz TMPR4925 or TMPR4926 64-bit RISC processor, which includes an integrated memory controller, a Peripheral Component Interconnect controller, a Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter, a timer, a serial peripheral interface and an Audio Codec '97. In addition, TMPR4926 incorporates a triple Data Encryption Standard engine.
- Toshiba TC86C001FG "GOKU-S" companion chip, which supports the Inter-IC bus, Universal Serial Bus host, USB device and Integrated Drive Electronics Ultra DMA-66 interface.
- Sigma Designs EM8485 MPEG-1/-2/-4 Decoder
- MontaVista Software Inc. MontaVista Linux 3.0 operating system
- PCI slot for WiFi, including a mini-PCI conversion board
- Full-featured design kit complete with drivers, documentation, a development board and application demo software that enables further customization as desired
The WVM49RX reference design will be available beginning in the second quarter of 2004. It is currently priced at $3,000.00 each.*About TAEC
Combining quality and flexibility with design engineering expertise, TAEC brings a breadth of advanced, next-generation technologies to its customers. This broad offering includes semiconductors, flash memory-based storage solutions, optical communication devices, displays and rechargeable batteries for the computing, wireless, networking, automotive and digital consumer markets.
TAEC is an independent operating company owned by Toshiba America, Inc., a subsidiary of Toshiba Corporation, the fifth largest semiconductor company worldwide in terms of global sales for the year 2003 according to Gartner/Dataquest's Worldwide Semiconductor Market Share Ranking. Toshiba is a world leader in high-technology products with more than 300 major subsidiaries and affiliates worldwide. For additional company and product information, please visit TAEC's website at chips.toshiba.com
. Information in this press release, including product pricing and specifications, content of services and contact information, is current on the date of the announcement, but is subject to change without prior notice.
All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective holders.