Complete Reference Design Ideal for IP Set-Top Box, Digital Multimedia Appliances and Home Gateways; Achieves BOM of Under $100 in Volume
SAN JOSE, Calif. , October 18, 2004 - Toshiba America Electronic Components, Inc. (TAEC)* today announced its fourth TX System RISC Multimedia Reference Platform. Designated AVM49R, the complete reference design combines a powerful, highly-integrated 300 megagertz (MHz) Toshiba TMPR4938 MIPS-based™ RISC processor with the Vweb VW2010 MPEG-1/2/4 audio/video CODEC chip in a compact 6.7-inch by 6.7-inch mini-ITX form factor. Supporting real-time MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 encoding and decoding, targeted applications include IP set-top box, digital video recorders and personal video recorders, home gateways and multimedia clients. The AVM49R Multimedia Reference Platform Hardware Development Kit (HDK) is now available for license to multimedia customers seeking to significantly reduce software and hardware development time.
"Continuing to execute on our overall strategy to offer complete platform solutions for focused segments, we developed the AVM49R Multimedia Reference Platform. As we move down the technology curve, each new platform is more powerful and feature-rich than its predecessor. In keeping with this, AVM49R is a highly integrated, flexible and cost-effective reference design that includes a Toshiba TMPR4938XB MIPS-based RISC processor, a Toshiba TC86C001F PCI-to-ATA66/USB companion chip and the Vweb VW2010 MPEG-1/2/4 CODEC chip, all running under the MontaVista Linux operating system," said Shardul Kazi, vice president of the RISC Microprocessor and Multimedia Business Unit at TAEC. "AVM49R simplifies and speeds development time by amalgamating roughly 80 percent of the total solution with the remainder left free for customers' customization and differentiation. In large quantities, its BOM is well under the desired $100.00 price point." He added that software companies are working with TAEC to make middleware and application ports available for customers.
Highlights of the AVM49R reference design include the following:
- Toshiba 300MHz TMPR4938XB 64-bit RISC processor, which includes an external bus controller (used for NOR flash), direct memory access controllers, an SDRAM controller, a Peripheral Components Interconnect (PCI) controller, a serial input/output (I/O) port, timer/counter control, a parallel I/O port, an interrupt controller, two 10/100 Ethernet Controllers (EMACs), on-chip SRAM and an extended EJTAG interface.
- The built-in EMACs reduce component count, compared to the previous TMPR4925/26 implementation.
- The TMPR4938XB can scale up to 333MHz for higher system-level performance.
- Toshiba TC86C001F "GOKU" companion chip, a PCI-to-ATA66 and Universal Serial Bus (USB) 1.1 interface chip.
- Vweb Corporation VW2010 CODEC chip, a real-time MPEG-1/2/4 audio/video/system CODEC that provides encoding and decoding or simultaneous compression and decompression.
- MontaVista Software Inc. MontaVista Linux PE 3.1 operating system.
- Design allows a hard disk drive be added for media storage.
- Incorporates PCI slot for wireless connectivity or graphics devices.
- Includes standard S video and composite outputs for Standard Definition television.
- Mini-ITX form factor board is 6.7 inches by 6.7 inches (170mm x 170mm) and fits in standard chassis.
- Uses standard ATX PC power supply connector and generates three DC voltages on-board.
- 1.5 volts (V) for microprocessor and companion chip
- 1.8V for CODEC chip
- 2.5V for FPGA and CPLD
- AVM49R Multimedia Reference Platform HDK offered complete with board, design specification, component data sheets, schematics, gerber database, patch for Monta Vista Linux 3.1, CPLD/FPGA source code and documentation.
Pricing and Availability
The AVM49R Multimedia Reference Platform HDK is currently available for customers to license at $10,000.00 per license.
About the Toshiba TX System RISC Family of Microprocessors and Platforms
Focusing on the digital consumer, office automation and automotive market segments, Toshiba offers a full family of MIPS-based Reduced Instruction Set Computer (RISC) microprocessors and peripheral circuits. The Toshiba TX System RISC family consists of 32- and 64-bit processors available as standard products or as a custom SoC tailored for an embedded design. The family is comprised of a range of processors from low-power consuming to high-performance and includes special functions essential for the design of embedded products, such as reduced code size and real-time capability. Toshiba offers access to expert technology professionals for design questions and application support.
<>The AVM49R is a member of a family of Toshiba TX System RISC Multimedia Reference Platforms consisting of hardware, software and system integration tools and documentation based on products from Toshiba. This modular, configurable approach provides a ready-to-use bill of materials and will evolve with the customer's design and industry standards. Customers get a jump on software development and on the competition. Platforms are available for multimedia, industrial-control, mobile and wireless, and other digital consumer applications.
Combining quality and flexibility with design engineering expertise, TAEC brings a breadth of advanced, next-generation technologies to its customers. This broad offering includes semiconductors, flash memory-based storage solutions, and displays for the computing, wireless, networking, automotive and digital consumer markets.
TAEC is an independent operating company owned by Toshiba America, Inc., a subsidiary of Toshiba Corporation, one of the five largest semiconductor companies worldwide in terms of global sales for the year 2003 according to Gartner/Dataquest's Worldwide Semiconductor Market Share Ranking. Toshiba is a world leader in high-technology products with more than 300 major subsidiaries and affiliates worldwide. For additional company and product information, please visit TAEC's website at http://chips.toshiba.com. For technical inquiries, please e-mail Tech.Questions@taec.toshiba.com.
Information in this press release, including product pricing and specifications, content of services and contact information, is current and believed to be accurate on the date of the announcement, but is subject to change without prior notice. Technical and application information contained here is subject to the most recent applicable Toshiba product specifications. In developing designs, please ensure that Toshiba products are used within specified operating ranges as set forth in the most recent Toshiba product specifications and the information set forth in Toshiba's "Handling Guide for Semiconductor Devices," or "Toshiba Semiconductor Reliability Handbook." This information is available at , or from your TAEC representative.
All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective holders.