D&R Headline News (June 2013)
Headlines for Friday Jun. 28, 2013Latest News
- The #ARM Diaries, Part 1: How ARM's Business Model Works
- PCIe takes on mobile, Thunderbolt, more
- GainSpan Closes $19 Million Series D Financing Round
- ARM, Imagination team up on UK electronics plan
Headlines for Thursday Jun. 27, 2013
Innovative Logic announced licensing of their USB 3.0 SuperSpeed OTG IPInno-Logic announced today the release of their USB3.0 OTG controller IP. Innovative Logic is the first company to announce the release of USB3.0 OTG controller IP.
- Algotochip Received Significant Investment From Nitto Denko
- Imagination's Ensigma Series4 universal communications IP cores shipping now to multiple licensees
- DCD Introduces Customizable LCD Controller
- New Microcontroller Integrates Measurement And Communication Capabilities
Headlines for Wednesday Jun. 26, 2013
Imagination reveals key elements of its new MIPS CPU roadmapImagination has updated its current portfolio of MIPS Aptiv cores, extending each of the Aptiv families with new core configurations. In addition, later this year Imagination will start rolling out an entire generation of new MIPS CPUs, including 32-bit and 64-bit cores.
- PCI-SIG Specifications Deliver PCI Express Technology to Mobile Devices
- Elliptic Technologies Elects Veteran Executives to Board of Directors and Targets Aggressive Growth
- UltraSoC receives further funding from Octopus Investments
- Lattice Introduces New Automotive Grade FPGAs to Accelerate Affordable Innovation
- New Cadence Energy-Efficient PCI Express IP Helps Reduce Power Consumption for Datacenter and Enterprise Applications
- The rise of the ARM clone
- Synopsys and UMC Collaborate to Accelerate Development of UMC's 14-nm FinFET Process
- LG Electronics Selects Active-Semi's Power Technology Resulting in Strategic Investment
- Tektronix Adds Industry's First Test Solution for New 10 Gbps SuperSpeed USB
- Can China Alone Drive Semiconductor Growth?
Headlines for Tuesday Jun. 25, 2013
Synopsys Demonstrates Industry's First M-PCIe IP InteroperabilitySynopsys today announced the industry's first M-PCIe interoperability demonstration. The demonstration shows the successful interoperability between M-PCIe interfaces from Synopsys and Intel using M-PCIe-based switch and endpoint devices.
Headlines for Monday Jun. 24, 2013
Chips&Media Unveils Breakthrough in Bandwidth ReductionChips&Media has unveiled its innovative bandwidth saving technology to deliver premium 4K video content with merely a half memory bandwidth.
- Spreadtrum Communications Announces Receipt of Acquisition Proposal
- TSMC signs up Apple for three-year FinFET deal
- Digital Core Design has been awarded as a Microentrepreneur of the year 2013 by Citi
- Synopsys Collaborates with A*STAR IME to Optimize TSI Technology
Headlines for Friday Jun. 21, 2013
Semiconductor Inventory Falls in Q1 as Outlook for Electronics Demand RisesTotal inventory held by semiconductor suppliers declined significantly in the first quarter as excess stockpiles created during the global economic malaise of 2012 were cleared away, done in anticipation of a resurgence in consumer demand for electronic products expected by the second half of 2013.
- Availability of Dolphin Integration's TSMC-sponsored ROM at the 130 nm BCD 5 V process
- Does Huawei have its eye on Nokia?
- WiLAN and Samsung Agree to a Long-Term License
- North American Semiconductor Equipment Industry Posts May 2013 Book-to-Bill Ratio of 1.08
Headlines for Thursday Jun. 20, 2013Latest News
- ARM Releases Starter Kit for RZ Family of Embedded Microprocessors in Partnership with Renesas
- Multimedia IP leader Imagination Technologies enters the HEVC arena with a focus on image quality and multi-standard capability
- Gartner Says Worldwide Semiconductor Manufacturing Equipment Spending to Decline 5.5 Percent in 2013
Headlines for Wednesday Jun. 19, 2013
Nvidia to license graphics IP to other chip vendorsMarking a dramatic shift in business strategy, Nvidia announced today that it will begin licensing current and future GPU and modem technology to other silicon vendors.
- Project looks to re-RISC the ARM
- SoC Silicon and Software Design Cost Analysis: Costs for Higher Complexity Continue to Rise
- Mentor Graphics Accelerates Verification with Emulation-Ready Verification IP for MIPI Products
- AMD Unveils Server Strategy and Roadmap
- OCZ Technology Group Achieves First-Pass Silicon Success with DesignWare IP and Synopsys Professional Services
- Imagination Technologies: Full Year Results Statement FY2012-13
Headlines for Tuesday Jun. 18, 2013
VeriSilicon Introduces Hantro G2 Video Decoder IP with HEVC and VP9 SupportVeriSilicon announced today the availability of Hantro G2 multi-format video decoder IP to support ultra HD 4K video decoding for HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding, aka H.265) video coding standard. The G2 IP also adds support for the upcoming VP9 web video format from the WebM Project.
- Rockchip Launches New Tablet SoCs on GLOBALFOUNDRIES' 28nm HKMG Process Technology
- Rambus Updates Second Quarter Guidance
- Rambus Signs Comprehensive Agreement with STMicroelectronics
Headlines for Monday Jun. 17, 2013
Mixel and GDA Technologies Partner to Deliver a Complete UFS MIPI SolutionGDA Technologies and Mixel today announced the availability of a complete solution for the Mobile Industry Processor Interface (MIPI®) supporting M-PHY Universal Flash Storage (UFS) use-case. This joint solution consists of the Mixel MIPI M-PHY (Physical Layer) and the GDA MIPI UniproSM and UFS Cores delivered as silicon Intellectual Property (IP).
- Penguin Computing, Calxeda and Inktank Partner to Deliver Large Scale Storage on ARM Based Servers
- Imec and Renesas Electronics Pioneer High-Performance RF Solutions in 28nm CMOS Technology
- Imagination signs license agreement with Cavium for MIPSr5 architecture
- Vivante Expands Presence in Korean CE Market
- Synopsys Delivers 2X Speedup for Implementing and Verifying Functional ECOs
- Atmel Announces New ARM Cortex-M0+ Microcontroller Family, Leveraging Two Decades of Microcontroller Leadership
Headlines for Friday Jun. 14, 2013
With BassPower for headphones, Dolphin Integration eliminates up to 80% of external capacitor costDolphin Integration blows it all by providing Audio Codecs with their new BassPower headphone feature. This innovation has been implemented in response to economical market constraints, thanks to its very low silicon area enabling a significant cost reduction of the Bill of Material.
- What is ST's plan B?
- Infineon and Atmel Reach Agreement to Settle Patent Dispute
- HARMAN Professional Licenses Oxford Digital Filter Technology and Patent Portfolio for Professional Audio Applications
- Imec shows multiple enhancement options for next-generation FinFETs
Headlines for Thursday Jun. 13, 2013
Cadence Completes Acquisition of Evatronix IP BusinessCadence today announced that it has completed the acquisition of the IP business of Poland-based Evatronix, SA SKA.
- Microsemi Announces System Builder Design Tool for ARM-based SmartFusion2 SoC FPGA Designs
- UMC joins IBM chip alliance for 10nm process development
Headlines for Wednesday Jun. 12, 2013
Arasan Chip Systems introduces USB 3.0 SSIC Bridge IPArasan announced today the release of its SSIC Adapter IP, supporting the USB 3.0 specification for USB Superspeed Inter-Chip (SSIC).
- How will TSMC cope after Chang?
- Imagination Technologies' 2012 growth outpaces industry by 3x
- Synopsys Announces Design Kit Optimized for All SoC Processor Cores
- Reflex CES Records Four Consecutive Years of Growth in its FPGA-Based Systems. International focus for 2013
- Xilinx Spotlights 100G & 400G Solutions for Smarter Networks at WDM Conference 2013
- Rambus and SK Hynix Sign Patent License Agreement
- WiLAN Acquires Cypress Semiconductor Portfolio
Headlines for Tuesday Jun. 11, 2013
Imagination signs license agreement with Toshiba for range of Imagination’s technologiesImagination Technologies reports that it has signed a license agreement with Toshiba Corporation for a range of technologies from Imagination’s Ensigma connectivity and PowerVR graphics and video families.
- AMD Unleashes First-Ever 5 GHz Processor
- SilabTech's 28nm High-Speed PHYs Delivered Ahead of Schedule with Mentor Graphics Tool Flow
- Synopsys Unveils New Synthesis-Based Test Technology Delivering Up to 3X Higher Compression
- Communications IC Market Forecast to Exceed the Computer IC Market for the First Time in History in 2013
- SEMI Reports First Quarter 2013 Worldwide Semiconductor Equipment Figures; Billings US$ 7.31 Billion
Headlines for Monday Jun. 10, 2013
Altera Announces Breakthrough Advantages with Generation 10Generation 10 devices are optimized based on process technology and architecture to deliver the industry’s highest performance and highest levels of system integration at the lowest power.
- TSMC May 2013 Sales Report
- UMC Reports Sales for May 2013
- eMemory and UMC Expand Non-volatile Memory Cooperation to Advanced 28nm Process
- Silicon Labs to Acquire Energy Micro, a Leader in Low Power ARM Cortex-Based Microcontrollers and Radios
Headlines for Friday Jun. 07, 2013Latest News
- Slight Uptick for Global Semiconductor Sales in April; Moderate Growth Projected for 2013 and 2014
- Industry's First Secure Clock IP Core
Headlines for Thursday Jun. 06, 2013
Intel's Haswell gets mixed reviews from analystsIntel's new microprocessor, Haswell, won’t revive a sagging PC market or give Intel a huge leg up in tablets from what I hear.
- Entropic Acquires Mobius Semiconductor
- GUC Monthly Sales Report - May 2013
- Kilopass Appoints Charlie Schadewitz Vice President of Sales To Continue Its Growth
- Jasper and Duolog Partner to Combine SoC Integration with Formal Verification
Headlines for Wednesday Jun. 05, 2013
Northwest Logic's PCI Express 3.0 Solution passes PCI-SIG PCIe 3.0 Compliance Testing at First Official PCIe 3.0 Compliance WorkshopNorthwest Logic today announced that its PCI Express® (PCIe®) 3.0 solution, including the Expresso 3.0 Core (PCI Express 3.0 Controller Core) and Expresso DMA Core passed all Gold and Interoperability tests at the April 2013 PCI-SIG® Compliance Workshop. This testing was done with 8 lanes running at 8 Gbit/s SERDES rates at the first official PCIe 3.0 compliance workshop.
- Intel Holds Qualcomm at Bay to Lead 2012 Embedded Processor Vendor Share Ranking, But for How Much Longer?
- EnSilica launches the eSi-ZM1 System-on-Module for faster, lower risk and smarter embedded systems development
- Tabula Releases 100G Ethernet Packet Parser Reference Design Kit
- GEO Semiconductor Grants eyevis License to Certain Patented eWARP Technologies
- Fab Equipment Spending: Strong Second Half Pulls 2013 Up; over 23% Growth for 2014
- Samplify's APAX Technology Cuts Memory Power Consumption by 59% During Video Playback on Mobile Devices
- ACE announces SuperTest qualification suite
Headlines for Tuesday Jun. 04, 2013
Microchip Technology Subsidiary SST and Novocell Semiconductor Announce Acquisition of Novocell by SSTMicrochip Technology, through its Silicon Storage Technology (SST) subsidiary, and Novocell Semiconductor, Inc. (Novocell) today announced that Microchip and SST have signed a definitive agreement to acquire Novocell.
- Arteris FlexNoC Network-on-Chip Technology Designed into Majority of Mobile SoCs
- Growth of Constellations Program Continues as IPextreme Welcomes Adapt-IP
- Tabula Announces Availability of Stylus Compiler Version 2.6.2
- Cochlear Adopts Target's Optimizing C Compiler Technology for its Ultra-Low Power Hearing Implant DSP
- SMIC Announced the Establishment of a Joint Venture in Beijing
- Mentor Graphics Questa and Veloce Verification Platforms Add Cache Coherency and Interconnect Performance for ARM AMBA 5 CHI and AMBA 4 ACE Designs
Headlines for Monday Jun. 03, 2013
True Circuits Introduces a Revolutionary New DDR 4/3 PHYTrue Circuits announced today the introduction of a new high performance DDR 4/3 PHY with state-of-the-art tuning and training, and remarkable physical flexibility to adapt to each customer's die floorplan and package. The DDR 4/3 PHY has been developed using the powerful custom design automation tools that have made TCI's line of high performance PLLs and DLLs a staple in the semiconductor industry for over 15 years.
- ARM Announces AMBA 5 CHI Specification to Enable High Performance, Highly Scalable System on Chip Technology
- Moortec Semiconductor Announces its Embedded Voltage Monitor IP on 28nm
- Microsemi Adopts Cortus Processor Core for New Mixed Signal SoC Platform for Industrial Applications
- Low-Power BA21 Processor Core Brings 32-bit Benefits to Embedded Microcontroller Applications
- SiTune Corporation signs strategic license agreement with major semiconductor company serving STB and TV markets
- ARM and GLOBALFOUNDRIES to Optimize Next-Generation ARM Mobile Processors for 28nm-SLP Process Technology
- ARM Targets 580 Million Mid-Range Mobile Devices with New Suite of IP
- Altera Licenses Arteris FlexNoC Interconnect Fabric IP for ARM-based Processor Systems
- Target Compiler Technologies Expands Architectural Exploration into IP Subsystem Design