The Cortex-M3 processor is specifically developed to enable partners to develop high-performance, low-cost platforms for a broad range of devices, including microcontrollers, automotive body systems, industrial control systems, and wireless networking and sensors.
- Powerful debug and non-intrusive real-time trace - Comprehensive debug and trace features dramatically improve developer productivity. It is extremely efficient to develop embedded software with proper debug.
- Memory Protection Unit (MPU) - Software reliability improves when each module is allowed access only to specific areas of memory required for it to operate. This protection prevents unexpected access that may overwrite critical data.
- Integrated nested vectored interrupt controller (NVIC) - There is no need for a standalone external interrupt controller. Interrupt handling is taken care of by the NVIC removing the complexity of managing interrupts manually via the processor.
- Thumb-2 code density - On average, the mix between 16bit and 32bit instructions yields a better code density when compared to 8bit and 16bit architectures. This has significant advantages in terms of reduced memory requirements and maximizing the usage of precious on-chip Flash memory.
- Design the most optimal System-On-Chip with a processor that has the perfect balance between area, performance and power with comprehensive system interfaces and integrated debug and trace components.
- Develop solutions for a large variety of markets with a full-featured Armv7-M instruction set that has been proven across a broad set of embedded applications.
- Capture a worldwide experienced developer base to accelerate adoption of new Cortex-M3 powered products and leverage the available extensive knowledge base to reduce support costs.
- Achieve exceptional 32-bit performance with low dynamic power, delivering leading system energy efficiency due to integrated software controlled sleep modes, extensive clock gating and optional state retention.
- Motor Control
- Smart home/building/enterprise/planet
Block Diagram of the 32-bit RISC Processor To Deliver High Performance In Low-Cost Microcontroller Applications