The Arm® Cortex®-A72 is an efficient high-performance processor that implements the Armv8-A architecture. The Cortex-A72 processor can be paired with the Cortex-A53 processor in a big.LITTLE configuration for mobile applications. The Cortex-A72 processor cluster has one to four cores, each with their L1 instruction and data caches, together with a single shared L2 unified cache.
- Triple-Issue Out-of-Order Pipeline - Dispatch and computational bandwidth improvements over Cortex-A57 have maximize the effectiveness of the triple-issue out-of-order pipeline to remove code dependencies for achieving high peak and sustained instruction throughputs at frequencies above 3GHz in 16FF+ process technology.
- Advanced Branch Predictor - A sophisticated new algorithm drastically improves prediction accuracy which reduces wasted energy consumption from executing down a wrong code path.
- Microarchitecture Efficiency - Every aspect of the Cortex-A57 microarchitecture was optimized to usher in a new level of Cortex-A energy efficiency with dramatic improvements in all aspects of PPA metrics (performance, power, and area).
- Infrastructure Features - Support for networking and storage application with full ECC cache and 44-bit addressing up to 16TB.
- State-of-the-art high-performance processor from Arm for infrastructure, mobile, and automotive markets.
- Market-leading compute density across all application form factors.
- Improved performance and efficiency, with full Armv8-A 64-bit support.
- This processor can also be implemented in an Arm big.LITTLE™ configuration.
- Mid-range mobile
- vCPE/IoT gateways
- Networking and base station
- Industrial and military aerospace
- Automotive ADAS
Block Diagram of the Arm Cortex-A72 IP Core