The Arm® Cortex® -M23 is the smallest and most energy-efficient implementation of the Armv8-M architecture.
The Cortex-M23 processor is a very compact, two-stage pipelined processor that supports the Armv8-M baseline instruction set. The Cortex-M23 with TrustZone security extension is the ideal processor for the most constrained embedded applications where security is a key requirement.
TrustZone technology for Armv8-M provides hardware-enforced isolation between the trusted and the untrusted resources on the Cortex-M23 based device, while maintaining the efficient exception handling and determinism that have been the hallmark of all Cortex-M processors.
- TrustZone for Armv8-M - A foundation for security for embedded devices. TrustZone offers software isolation to code, memory and I/O while retaining the requirements of embedded applications: real-time deterministic response, minimal switching overhead, and ease of software development.
- Energy efficient two-stage pipeline processor - The smallest of Arm processors with TrustZone technology. Brings compactness and energy efficiency while providing support for the full Armv8-M baseline instruction set.
- Memory Protection Unit (MPU) - Software reliability improves when each module is allowed access to specific areas of memory required for it to operate. This protection prevents unexpected access that may overwrite critical data. Each security zone can have a dedicated MPU.
- ntegrated Nested Vectored Interrupt Controller (NVIC) - There is no need for a standalone external interrupt controller. Interrupt handling is taken care of by the NVIC removing the complexity of managing interrupts manually via the processor.
- Powerful debug and non-intrusive real-time trace - Comprehensive debug and trace features dramatically improve developer productivity. It is extremely efficient to develop embedded software with proper debug. Optional MTB and ETM.
- Trusted execution even in the smallest, lowest-power and most constrained embedded devices.
- Low power that enables security in energy harvesting IoT nodes
- Reduced development costs by leveraging the vast ecosystem of 3rd party tools, operating systems and software
- An entry point to the Armv8-M based processor family, approximately one third the size of Cortex-M33 and more than twice its energy efficiency. It is upward code compatible to the Cortex-M33
- Smart sensors
- Energy harvesting IoT nodes
- Digital motor control,
- Biometric authentication
- Medical nanorobots
- Asset tracking services
Block Diagram of the Arm Cortex-M23 IP Core