XpressSWITCH is a customizable, Embedded PCIe Switch designed for ASIC and FPGA implementations enabling the connection of one upstream port and multiple downstream ports with a large choice of configurations. XpressSWITCH is the first embedded switch available on the market and enables designers to use fewer PHYs, saving latency, power consumption and bill-of-material. PCIe switches manage dataflow within a device, delivering the flexibility, scalability and configurability required to connect a large pool of drives or networks.
- Switching Logic:
- 1 Upstream port
- Multiple Downstream ports (2 up to 32)
- Independent configuration of link width, link speed, equalization settings, and PIPE interface per-PCIe port
- PCIe TLP routing: Configuration, Memory Write/Read, I/O and Messages Packets
- L1 and wake-up events forwarding
- Peer-to-peer transactions support
- Round-Robin arbitration
- No Packet buffering
- Test port functionality
- User clock - integrated Clock Domain Crossing to support user-selected frequency in the Switching logic
- PCI Express Interface
- x1, x2, x4, x8 PCI Express Core
- 256-bit data path
- Supports link rate of 2.5, 5.0, 8.0, 16 and 32 Gbps per lane
- PCI Express Based Specification Revision 3.1 compliant
- PHY Interface for PCI Express (PIPE) 3.0 rev.0/4.0/4.2 compliant
- 1 Virtual Channel (VC)
- 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit PIPE interface
- Receive and Replay configurable buffer size
- Advanced Error Reporting (AER) support
- ECRC generation and check support
- Cut-Through mode to reduce latency
- Lane reversal
- Easy IP customization
- Unused features not implemented in silicon
- Flexibility: The solution is highly configurable and scalable. For example, the designer can choose to implement up to 32 external or embedded Endpoints, and define for each port a different clock speed, data rate and throughput in order to optimize the footprint of the design.
- 20+ years of experience in design of IP cores for ASIC with specialization in high-speed interface protocols and technologies, more than 5700 customers , including several hundred of ASIC tape-outs.
- Allows seamless migration from FPGA prototyping design to ASIC/SoC production design with same RTL.
- Significant Latency, Power and Performance Improvements: XpressSWITCH delivers improvements in latency (using Cut-Through mode), optimization of power consumption (using embedded Endpoints), and better performance through a non-blocking architecture (using Peer-to-Peer transfers between Endpoints).
- Demonstrated reliability: The solution has been integrated, tested and demonstrated on PLDA’s XpressKUS FPGA board running a Xilinx® Kintex® UltraScale™ device and has achieved PCI Express (PCIe®) compliance.
- No requirement for software development: The switch will work without additional software development through the use of the configuration wizards and reference designs provided, reducing time-to-market
- BOM/Cost savings: PCIe Embedded Switch IP enables a minimized footprint and reduces the number of chips required on the board.
- Shorter time-to-market: PCIe Embedded Switch IP enables the reuse of existing design, reducing design time and creating independence from the SerDes Technology.
- Switch Development Platform with several available configurations
- Documentations (User guide)
- Technical Support and maintenance updates
Block Diagram of the Customizable Embedded Multi-port PCIe Switch IP Core