The Cortex-R4 processor delivers high-performance, real-time responsiveness, reliability, and dependability with high error-resistance. It offers excellent energy efficiency and cost effectiveness for ASIC, ASSP, and MCU embedded applications.
The Cortex-R series processors provide fast time-to-market through proven technology shipped in hundreds of millions of products, the vast Arm ecosystem, and worldwide local language, 24/7 support services to ensure rapid and low-risk development.
The Cortex-R4 processor, is designed for implementation on advanced silicon processes with an emphasis on improved energy efficiency, real-time responsiveness, advanced features and ease of system design. The processor provides a highly flexible and efficient two-cycle local memory interface, enabling SoC designers to minimize system cost and energy consumption.
- Fast with high performance - the processor s 8-stage, dual-issue pipeline combined with instruction pre-fetch and branch prediction achieve fast instruction execution.
- Highly deterministic - advanced features such as Tightly-Coupled Memory (TCM), Vectored Interrupt Controller (VIC) port, and Low Latency Interrupt Mode (LLIM) make the Cortex-R4 highly deterministic with accelerated interrupt entry.
- Reliable - error handling built into the core; Integrated Memory Protection Unit (MPU), Error-correcting code (ECC) memory, and dual-core lock-step configuration ensure the Cortex-R4 processor’s reliability to handle errors.
- Energy efficient and cost effective - supports a highly flexible and efficient two-cycle local memory interface, enabling SoC designers to minimize system cost and energy consumption
- Smallest Cortex-R processor, providing high design flexibility to achieve excellent energy efficiency and system cost-effectiveness
- Highly deterministic for fast interrupt handling in real-time applications
- Widely deployed real-time processor with fault containment built into the core
- Hard-disk drive controllers
- Wireless baseband processors
Block Diagram of the Deeply embedded processor for deterministic real-time applications