SpectraChip replaces traditional analogue filters with digital technology, resulting in devices which are more reliable, easier to manufacture and which produce dependable results time after time. Using digital techniques gives users the power to analyse a wider band of frequencies, as well as the means to home in on interesting events with greater precision, and the opportunity to work with the data using clear and effective graphical methods. Real-time system monitoring also becomes genuinely viable.
SpectraChip is an effective way for designers to incorporate high-performance digital features into their instrumentation without the risks and costs of having to tailor a bespoke digital filtering design themselves.
- Replaces traditional analogue IF filtering in spectrum analysers with modern digital filters.
- IP core targeted at low cost FPGAs.
- Implements all standard spectrum analyser features including: resolution bandwidth filtering; video bandwidth filtering and conversion to log power.
- Improved accuracy and reliability gained from using repeatable digital algorithms.
- Weight reduction over traditional analogue solutions.
- Continuous FFT analysis of a wide spectral band.
- Real-time FFT capability.
- Complex spectral triggering.
- Powerful graphical data representation: 3-dimensional “waterfall” plots and 2-dimensional spectrograms.
- SpectraChip enables spectrum analysers to break away from restrictions that come with traditional analogue intermediate frequency (IF) filtering, by replacing them with flexible digital techniques:
- Modern digital architecture makes it more straightforward to manufacture robust systems which produce predictable, reliable results.
- Using digital technology saves on the costs of manufacturing alignment and on-going calibration which are necessary with analogue circuitry.
- All standard IF features are supported – simple design-in
- Advanced SpectraChip MHz and SpectraChip GHz variants add modern digital analysis techniques not readily available in the analogue domain:
- FFTs and other specialist algorithms replace traditional analogue swept monitoring, so that a wide band of interest can be continuously analysed, and even very short pulses can be captured.
- Complex spectral triggering which allows data to be stored on a specific event.
- Powerful graphical data representations.
- Supplied as an IP core for low cost FPGA devices, facilitating cost-effective product design.
Block Diagram of the Digital replacement for the analogue intermediate frequency (IF) filtering used in spectrum analysers