The Atria Logic AL-H264D-HW is a hardware-based, low power, low latency, feature-rich, H.264 (AVC) Baseline Profile video decoder IP core, targeted for mobile and non-mobile, low power devices in industrial, medical and CE applications. Industrial applications include remote monitoring of manufacturing plants, remote control of UAVs, and digital signage for advertising and information displays in hotels, ATMs, gas pumps, kiosks, etc. Medical applications include endoscopic, assisted surgery and remote diagnostics applications, CE applications include in-flight and automotive infotainment systems, netbooks, tablets and smartphones.
The decoder supports Baseline Profile I+P decoding up to Level 4.1 (1080p30), as well as error resiliency/robustness with Arbitrary Slice Ordering (ASO), Flexible Macroblock Ordering (FMO) and skipped macroblock support when receiving video data packets over unpredictable networks.
The decoder is fully H.264 standards compliant, with support for all 4x4 and 16x16 luma and all chroma modes, up to 16 motion vectors (i.e., all permitted block sizes) per macroblock, cross-frame boundary motion vectors, 1/2 and 1/4 pel motion compensation and a large horizontal and vertical motion vector range of +/-2048 and +/- 512, respectively. An in-loop deblocking filter is also included for enhanced video quality.
Configuration and control support of the decoder is supported via a register set which is accessible over the AMBA/AVALON bus. The RTL implementation supports a hardwired, micro-code free mode of implementation, as well as an ARM embedded processor assisted hardware-software partitioned mode of implementation.
The decoder design is based on a synchronous, positive-edge clocking scheme for easy targeting to ASIC or FPGA implementations. A clock-gated, multi-clock domain design supports very low power operation modes. For instance, 30fps CIF decode using only a 12MHz clock source. The design is easily scalable to decode multiple streams simultaneously.
- H.264 I+P Baseline Profile decoding
- Support for all resolutions, frame rates and bit rates up to Level 4.2
- Up to SVGA (800x600) support on FPGAs
- Up to 1920x1080p60 support on ASICs
- Multi-stream decode scalability
- ASO, FMO and skipped macroblock support for error resiliency and robustness
- Horizontal motion vector range of +/-2048
- Vertical motion vector range of +/- 512
- 1/2 and 1/4 pel motion compensation
- Support for all 4x4 and 16x16 luma and all chroma modes
- Up to 16 motion vectors per macroblock
- Support for cross-frame boundary motion vectors
- In-loop Deblocking filter
- Very low latency at ~0.3sec
- Synchronous, positive-edge clocking scheme
- Low power modes via clock-gated, multi-clock domains
- Register-level configuration and control over AMBA/AVALON bus
- RTL implementation
- ASIC and FPGA implementation support
- Fully ISO/IEC 14496-10 standards compliant
- Speed and power-optimized ME engine
- Fully software-optimized implementation
- Support for broad range of ARM processors
- Low-power optimized implementation
- Remote monitoring
- UAV control
- Digital signage
- Assisted surgery
- Remote diagnostics
- In-flight and in-car infotainment
- Netbooks, Tablets & Smartphones
Block Diagram of the H.264 Low Power & Low Latency Hardware Video Decoder