This Video Over IP Subsystem integrates H.264 Decompression, Transport Stream and RTP/UDP/IP de-capsulation to enable the rapid development of complete video streaming products. Hardware reference designs and customization services complete the solution.
The subsystem uses the Low-Latency AVC/H.264 Baseline Profile Decoder Core and the RTP and UDPIP, hardware stacks available from CAST. Flexible interfaces allow easy integration of video, memory, and network controllers, and AXI4-Lite slave interfaces allow a host processor to access all control and status registers. An optional custom logic module allows standalone, processor-free operation and provides access to control and status registers via UDP packets. Video and stream data are transferred among the subsystem’s modules using AXI-Stream, making removing or adding modules straightforward.
The subsystem can decode constraint baseline streams, encapsulated in RTP or plain UDP and features, sub-frame latency (no frame buffers are implemented).
- Ultra-Low Latency H.264 Video Decompression
- Constraint Baseline Profile
- RTP and UDPIP Decapsulation
- Sub-frame latency capable
- Host interface via AXi4-Lite or processor-free UDP-controlled operation
- AXI4-ST bus for Video & Stream data
- Supports HD – 720p30/60 and Full-HD – 1080p30
- Customization Options
- Integration with Video-Outn Controllers (e.g., DVI, HDMI, MIPI-CSI, or SDI)
- Integration with IP-based MAC controllers (e.g., Ethernet or 802.11 WiFi)
- Reference FPGA Designs
- Drive display via HDMI, on Xilinx or Altera boards
- Can work with CAST’s H.264 Encoder Subsystem Reference Designs
- The H264OIP-HDD Subsystem is suitable for broadcasting, surveillance, industrial, defense, and medical live-streaming applications. The software-free platform consumes significantly less energy than software based solutions, making it ideal as a decompression coprocessor in battery-operated devices with video streaming capabilities.
Block Diagram of the H.264 Video Over IP – HD Decoder Subsystem