The accelerating expansion of the Internet of Things brings with it a greatly expanding threat model. The growing number of IoT devices require strong identities as the foundation of trust to establish and scale robust security. BroadKey is a secure root key generation and management software solution for IoT security that allows device manufacturers to secure their products with an internally generated, unique and unclonable identity without the need for adding a costly, security-dedicated silicon. Since BroadKey is a software implementation of SRAM PUF, it is the only hardware entropy source option for securing IoT products that does not need to be integrated at silicon fabrication. It can be installed later in the supply chain, and even remotely retrofitted on deployed devices. This enables never-before-possible flexibility of a remote “brownfield” installment of a hardware root of trust and paves the way for scaling the IoT to billions of devices.
SRAM PUF has been deployed in Arm, Intel and RISC-V processor environments.
More than 150 million devices are secured with SRAM PUF.
- Low Cost, Flexible & Scalable: Keys are extracted from the chip, on demand and do not need to be programmed in NVM or OTP. Furthermore, keys can be provisioned at any suitable stage in the production process. The low footprint and flexible design make BroadKey suitable for most semiconductor platforms, and scalable to billions of devices.
- Operating Ranges: SRAM PUF responses have been qualified for use with BroadKey over a wide operating range:
- - Qualified top semiconductor fabs and technology nodes ranging from 350nm down to 7nm
- - Semiconductor processes include low power, high speed and high density
- - Temperature range from -55°C to 150°C [-67°F to 300°F]
- - Voltage supply variation +/- 20%
- - Accelerated lifetime > 25 years
- Use standard SRAM
- Unclonable and immutable
- Device-unique high-quality keys
- No secrets when power is off
- No root key programming
- Flexible and scalable
- BroadKey Software IP is delivered as a library compiled for a specific target chip, along with API specifications and user manual. BroadKey is available in three configurations:
- BroadKey-Pro: Device-unique key derivation, random number generation, wrapping and management, including elliptic curve private key generation and storage, importing and exporting of public keys, signature generation
- BroadKey-Plus: Device-unique key creation, derivation, wrapping and management
- BroadKey-Safe: Device-unique key creation and derivation
- Secure Key Storage
- Flexible Key Provisioning
- HW-SW Binding
- Supply Chain Protection
Block Diagram of the Hardware Root of Trust Software to Create, Wrap and Manage Keys