Implements a Real Time Transport Protocol (RTP) hardware stack that encapsulates JPEG streams to RTP packets compliant with RFC 2435.
The JPEG2RTP can be directly connected to the output of a JPEG encoder to output RTP packets, which can subsequently be forwarded for UDP/IP or TCP/IP encapsulation. The hardware stack produces complete RTP packets, without the need for any host-processor assistance. Along with CAST’s UDP/IP hardware stack, the JPEG2RTP core is ideal for offloading the demanding task of RTP/UDP/IP encapsulation from a host processor, and enables JPEG video streaming even in processor-less SoC designs.
The core is easy to integrate in systems with or without a host processor. JPEG stream and RTP packet data are input/output via dedicated streaming-capable AMBA® AXI4®-Stream or Altera® Avalon®-ST interfaces, enabling direct connection to hardware video encoders and hardware stacks for UDP or TCP. Status and control registers are accessible by AXI4-Lite or Avalon-MM interface.
The JPEG2RTP core is available in RTL source or as a targeted FPGA netlist. Platforms integrating the core along with JPEG encoder, UDP/IP, and eMAC cores, are available from CAST, and can enable rapid development of video over IP systems.
- RTP Encapsulation For JPEG Streams
- Compliant to RFC 2435
- Enables control of RTP packet size
- Run-time programmable maximum stream bytes per RTP packet
- In-band Quantization Table support
- Easier Integration For Faster Development
- Processor-less, standalone operation
- AMBA AXI Interfaces
- AXI4-Lite Control/Status register interfaces
- AXI4-Streaming interfaces for packet data
- Altera Avalon Interfaces
- Avalon-MM Control/Status register interfaces
- Avalon-ST interfaces for packet data
- Available pre-integrated with:
- JPEG Encoder cores from CAST
- UDP/IP Hardware Stack from CAST
- Altera, Xilinx, or other third-party Ethernet MAC core
- The JPEG2RTP core is suitable for a wide variety systems and devices featuring JPEG video streaming over IP networks.
Block Diagram of the Hardware RTP Stack for JPEG Stream Encapsulation