The Digital Blocks DB-I2C-MS-AXI Controller IP Core interfaces a microprocessor via the AXI system Interconnect Fabric to an I2C Bus. The I2C is a two-wire bidirectional interface standard (SCL is Clock, SDA is Data) for transfer of bytes of information between two or more compliant I2C devices, typically with a microprocessor behind the master / slave controller and one or more master / slave devices. The companion products, the DB-I2C-MS-APB, DB-I2C-MS-AHB, DB-I2C-MS-AVLN, DB-I2C-MS-AXI-Lite, support on-chip bus interfaces with microprocessors such as the ARM, MIPS, PowerPC, and ARC.
Digital Blocks offers I2C Controller Master/Slave, Master only, and Slave only IP with AXI / AHB / APB / Avalon / Qsys Interfaces. In addition, besides interfacing to a CPU, the I2C Controllers can transfer blocks of data directly between System Memory or Registers and the I2C Bus.
- I2C Master / Slave with Parameterized FIFO:
- Targets embedded processors with high performance algorithm requirements, by independently controlling the Transmit or Receive of bytes of information:
- For Transmits, the processor writes the Slave Address & bytes of information into the FIFO, sets a start control bit, and waits for an interrupt or polls a status bit signaling completion
- For Receive, the processor writes the Slave Address into the DB-I2C-MS-AXI, enables the controller, and waits for an interrupt or polls a status bit signaling completion. The processor then reads the bytes of information from the FIFO.
- Small VLSI footprint
- Master Controller Modes:
- Master – Transmitter
- Master – Receiver
- Slave Controller Modes:
- Slaver – Transmitter
- Slave – Receiver
- Multi-Master, Clock Synchronization, Arbitration, SCL held low by Slave, & Repeated Start capabilites
- Parameterized FIFO depth for higher performance. Optional 16 or 32-bit processor interface
- Supports three I2C bus speeds:
- Standard mode (100 Kb/s)
- Fast mode (400 Kb/s)
- Fast mode plus (1 Mbit/s)
- 8 sources of internal interrupts with masking control
- Compliance with AMBA AXI and I2C specifications:
- AMBA AXI Protocol Specification (V2.0)
- Philips/NXP – The I2C-Bus Specification, Version 2.1, January 2000 and NXP Rev 0.3 19 June 2007
- Fully-synchronous, synthesizable Verilog or VHDL RTL core, with rising-edge clocking, no gated clocks, and no internal tri-states, for easy integration into FPGA or ASIC design flows.
- The DB-I2C-MS-AXI Controller IP Core targets embedded processor applications with high performance algorithm requirements. While most I2C controllers require high processor interaction involvement, the DB-I2C-MS-AXI contains a parameterized FIFO and Finite State Machine Control for the processor to off-load the I2C transfer to the DB-I2C-MS-AXI Controller. Thus, while the DB-I2C-MS-AXI is busy, independently controlling the I2C Transmit or Receive transaction of data, the processor can go off and complete other tasks.
- Verilog or VHDL RTL Source or technology-specific netlist.
- Comprehensive testbench suite with expected results.
- Synthesis scripts.
- Installation & Implementation Guide.
- Technical Reference Manual.