MicroCore Labs MCL86 is a microsequencer based, cycle compatible 8088 8086 soft IP core.
Can be used as a drop-in replacement for legacy 8088 or 8086 designs. Is also a good choice as an embedded microprocessor inside of an FPGA or ASIC.
Technology independant so the MCL86 can be easily ported to any FPGA or ASIC vendor.
The MCL86 has been extensively tested by running popular desktop applications on real hardware.
- The MicroCore Labs MCL86 supports the full x86 instruction set including undocumented and redundant opcodes.
- Optional cycle compatibility with original 8088 can be disabled to allow core to run significantly faster.
- Like the original 8088, the Execution Unit (EU) is separate from the Bus Interface Unit (BIU) which allows the user to implement any type of bus interface they require.
- The MCL86 is delivered with an example 8088 BIU which is cycle compatible with the original microproccessor.
- The MCL86 consumes 308 Xilinx LUTs, or less than one percent of the smallest Kintex-7 FPGA.
- MicroCore Labs MCL86 supports the full instruction set compatibility as well as optional cycle compatibility with the original 8088.
- Consumes 308 Xilinx LUTs, or less than one percent of the smallest Kintex-7 FPGA.
- The 16-bit MCL86 is a small footprint, low power and powerful choice for an embedded controller that is supported by thousands of applications and resources.
- Obfuscated Verilog for the MCL86 Execution Unit
- Example Verilog for 8088 Bus Interface Unit
- MicroCore Labs MCL86 ideal for legacy 8088 or 8086 microproccessor replacement or integration.
- Embedded controller for an FPGA or ASIC where small space and low power are important concerns.
Video Demo of the Microsequencer based, cycle compatible 8088 8086 soft IP core