This Video Over IP Subsystem employs JPEG compression and RTP/UDP/IP encapsulation to enable the rapid development of complete motion JPEG video streaming products. Hardware reference designs and customization services complete the solution.
The subsystem uses CAST’s JPEG-E-S, JPEG2RTP, and UDPIP IP cores. Flexible interfaces allow easy integration of video and network controllers; the cores’ AMBA® AXI4-Lite™ slave interfaces allow a host processor to access all control and status registers. An optional custom logic module allows standalone, processor-free operation and provides access to control and status registers via UDP packets. Video and stream data are transferred among the subsystem’s modules using AXI-Stream, making removing or adding modules straightforward.
The produced stream can be decoded using Motion JPEG-compatible software viewers (e.g. VLC).
- Complete subsystem streams 1080p video with lower latency, less power consumption, and fewer silicon re-sources than hardware video codecs or software compression.
- Motion-JPEG Video Compression
- Ultra-low, sub-frame latency capable
- No frame buffering, eliminates the need for external DRAM
- Quality equivalent to video compression for compression ratios up to 20:1
- RTP encapsulation according to RFC 2435
- Compressed stream decodable by compliant software decoders/viewers such as VLC
- Host interface via AXi4-Lite or processor-free UDP-controlled operation
- AXI4-ST bus for Video & Stream
- Customization Options
- Integration with Video-In Controllers (e.g., DVI, HDMI, MIPI-CSI, or SDI)
- Integration with IP-based MAC controllers (e.g., Ethernet or 802.11 WiFi)
- Multiple video channels, different video preprocessing modules, or different compression algorithms
- The MJPEGOIP-HDE Subsystem is suitable for live streaming in broadcasting, surveillance, industrial, defense, and medical applications. The platform consumes significantly less energy than software-based solutions, making it ideal as a compression coprocessor in battery-operated devices with video streaming capabilities.
Block Diagram of the Motion JPEG Over IP - HD Video Encoder Subsystem