The OL_H264e core is a hardware implementation of the H.264 video compression algorithm.
The core accepts up to the highest resolution HDTV video stream as input and outputs the encoded bitstream.
Simple, fully synchronous design with low gate count.
- Encoder fully compatible with the ITU-T H.264 specification.
- Decoder limited to the subset produced by the encoder
- Encoder proven in FPGA : VGA (640x480) at 30 fps or 720p @ 15 fps in Virtex4-10 demo board with video streamed to Ethernet.
- Profile level 4.1, can be decoded by Baseline, Main or Hi Profile decoder.
- Supports up to the highest HDTV video resolution (1920x1080 @ 30 fps progressive or 60 fields/s interlaced).
- Direct support of both progressive and interlaced video.
- Very low operational frequency : from ~1.5 MHz for QCIF @ 15 fps to ~250 MHz for 1920x1080 @ 30 fps or 1920x1080 @ 60 fields/s.
- Single core HDTV support in FPGA : 720p (1280x720) at 30 fps in high end FPGAs (Virtex4-5/StratixII-III) .
- 4 CIF (704x576) at 30 fps in low end FPGAs (Spartan3-4, slowest speed grade).
- Encoder and decoder support up to 32 video channels simultaneously.
- No CPU required for encoding.
- Variable Bit Rate (VBR) and Constant Bit Rate (CBR).
- Very low latency (~1.1 ms for VGA @ 30 fps).
- Motion vector up to –16.00/+15.75 pixels around the predicted motion vector (-24.00/+23.75 around the origin), down to quarter pixel. Decoder up to –32.00/+31.75, quarter pixel.
- Support for most of intra4x4 and all intra16x16 modes.
- Multiple slices support for better error resilience.
- Block skipping logic for lower bitrate.
- Deblocking filter for better quality.
- External memory interface tolerant of high latencies and delays, ideal in a SoC system or in a shared bus with a CPU. The memory interface can be clocked at a different frequency from the core for easier integration.
- Supports YUV 4:2:0 video input
- Min Clock speed = 4 x the raw pixel clock speed
- Low gate count encoder (from 145K gates + 133 Kbits of RAM for real time VGA encoding to 195 Kgates + 133 Kbits of RAM for real time 1080p encoding).
- Low gate count decoder (up to 70 Kgates+ 75 Kbits of RAM for real time 1080p decoding).
- Simple, fully synchronous design.
- Available as fully functional and synthesizable VHDL or Verilog soft-core.
- Available as fully functional and synthesizable VHDL or Verilog soft-core
- C model of the IP is available now for evaluation.