Precision Time Protocol or PTP or IEEE1588 is one such protocol that allows synchronization of an order of 1us with the master (most accurate) clock in the network. On local area Ethernet networks, it is implemented in various ways most often in software. This method is inherently less accurate for timestamping which results in a reduction of synchronization accuracy.
PTP Timestamp Unit is an execution of a single port Frame Timestamp Unit (TSU) according to IEEE 1588-2008 (PTP). Our 10/100 Ethernet MAC with IEEE 1588 support IP core is amenable to the Ethernet/IEEE 802.3-2008 standard. The hardware also included for accurately time-stamp packets to support the IEEE 1588 PTP protocol.It detects PTP frames on a (R)(G)MII tap and timestamps PTP event frames based on a Counter Clock and provides them delay compensated to a PTP Software stack (e.g. PTPd, PTP4l, etc…)
The timestamps of events in a distributed control system should match with considerable accuracy to be able to correlate them together or for the control system to operate properly. Various time synchronization protocols are used on different networks which allow synchronization upto various accuracies.
- Hardware support for IEEE 1588 PTP V1 and V2
- Taps path between MAC and PHY
- Full-duplex and half-duplex mode of operation
- PTP Timestamp Unit according to IEEE 1588-2008
- Independent 32-bit scatter-gather DMA with big/little-endian operation
- MII/GMII/RGMII Interface support (optional AXI4 stream for interconnection to 3rd party cores)
- MDIO/MDC management interface
- 802.3 compliant MIB, SNMP, RMON management support
- Timestamp resolution with 50 MHz system clock: 10ns
- Configurable transmit and receive FIFOs
- Master and Slave support
- Supports Jumbo frames
- Full line speed
- AXI4 Light register set
- Support magic packet and Wake-Up frames
- Unencrypted source code allows easy implementation
- Easy-to-use industry standard test environment
- Support for Layer 2 (Ethernet) and Layer 3 (Ip), VLAN, HSR and PRP, Peer to Peer (P2P) and End to End (E2E) all.
- Customer training available
- RMM guidelines amenable Verilog code ensured using Spyglass
- Easy-to-use test environment
- Reuse Methodology Manual guidelines for Synthesizable RTL design
- Scripts for the Synthesis process.
- Various Technical documents
- Outdoor Ethernet
Block Diagram of the Precision Time Protocol IP IP Core