The PipelineZero Embedded Processor implements a small, ultra-low-power, and very processing-efficient 32-bit processor, ideal for energy-sensitive deeply embedded applications such as wearable electronics, Internet of Things (IoT) sensors, wireless communication, and other mixed-signal ICs.
Thanks to its PipelineZero™ architecture, the BA20 core delivers a high processing efficiency with a tiny silicon footprint. True single-cycle instruction execution of the BA2 ISA, zero-delay branches, no pipeline-stalling overheads, and an optional hardware multiply unit enable the BA20 to operate with efficiency as high as 3.41 CoreMarks/MHz. With no pipeline stages in the instruction execution path the BA20 uses a minimal number of flip-flops and a simplified CPU control, so its processing efficiency comes without a silicon area penalty. For example, in a 40G technology the BA20 occupies about 10,000 gates, or approximately 0.01mm2.
These advantages plus advanced power management features and the extreme code density of the BA2 instruction set make the BA20 the most energy-efficient 32-bit processor currently available, consuming just 2uW/MHz on a 40G technology.
- Competitive Performance Efficiency: 3.04 DMIPS/MHz and 3.41 CoreMarks/MHz
- Small Silicon Area:0.01mm2 in a 9-track 40G process, and
- Low Power Consumption:2µW/MHz in the same process technology.
- The core is available for ASICs in synthesizable Verilog source code, and includes everything required for successful implementation. The core is delivered with software development tools Windows and Linux, with an Eclipse IDE interface.
- Wearable electronics
- Internet of things sensors
- Wireless communications
Block Diagram of the Small, ultra-low-power, and very processing-efficient 32-bit processor