The Arm® Cortex®-A5 processor is the smallest, lowest power Arm multi-core processor capable of delivering the internet to the widest possible range of devices: from ultra-low-cost handsets, feature phones and smart mobile devices, to pervasive embedded, consumer and industrial devices.
Both the extremely area and power efficient Cortex-A5 uniprocessor and the scalable Cortex-A5 MPCore multi-core processors are supported by a rich set of features and Armv7 architectural functionality to deliver a high-performance and low-power solution across both application specific and general purpose designs.
The Cortex-A5 processor includes TrustZone® security technology along with a NEON™ multimedia processing engine first introduced with the Cortex-A8 processor. NEON technology is a 128-bit SIMD (Single Instruction, Multiple Data) architecture extension for the Cortex-A series processors, providing flexible and compelling acceleration for intensive multimedia applications.
- Feature set of Cortex-A9 for half the size and power - Fully feature compatible with Cortex-A9 processor, provides 70-80% of Cortex-A9 performance and significantly higher efficiency.
- Most scalable and configurable Armv7-A processor - The Cortex-A5 processor is extremely configurable and scalable to meet performance, power and area requirements for cost sensitive, low power applications.
- Available in single core and multi core configurations - The Cortex-A5 processor is available in two variants: as a single core Cortex-A5 UP processor and as Cortex-A5 MP where it can scale up to four processor cores in a cluster.
- The smallest application processor designed by Arm with uniprocessor (UP) and multiprocessor (MP) licensing options.
- Configurable processor with optional NEON, optional FPU, and L1 cache configurable from 4K-64KB.
- Full feature set of Cortex-A9 processor at one third the area and power.
- Digital TV
- Smart home
- IoT-rich nodes
- DVD and audio player
Block Diagram of the Smallest, Lowest Power ARM Multicore Applications Processor