SUPERIOR LIGHTWEIGHT SLICE-BASED VIDEO CODEC
The high quality profile and low delay syntax of VC-2 is used to achieve low compression ratio, typically up to 4 times visually lossless. The algorithm is lightweight and works without external memory allowing cost-effective implementation. The VC-2 High Quality codec has ultra-low latency due to its slice-based processing.
Did you know?
British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) developed and open sourced a Wavelet-based video codec named Dirac. A low-complexity profile of the Dirac codec named Dirac Pro, which does not use motion compensation, was standardized by SMPTE as the VC-2 codec. Silex Insight’s VC-2 HQ IP implements the VC-2 codec and associated support for handling the compressed bitstream.
Feature highlights in VC-2 HQ
The slice-based processing allows a high level of parallelization. In combination with small slices, a sub-frame level pipelining can be put in place and lead to an end-to-end latency of 2 stripe height lines. With 8 lines of latency in 4K60, VC-2 HQ has a latency of only 0.0593 milliseconds.
COMPRESSED FRAME BUFFER
The slice-based processing allows to update any slice directly in the compressed picture! This is ideal for picture in picture (see example below), logo insertion or video content update without the decoding and re-encoding of the full resolution picture, saving power. VC-2 HQ is a hyper-flexible codec.
REGION OF INTEREST (ACTIVITY ZONE) PROCESSING
With ROI coding, only the useful slices determined by the user are encoded. This allows saving power and bandwidth.
Download our white paper to learn more: https://www.whitepapervc-2hq.com
- Very light codec - fits even the most cost-efficient FPGA's
- VC-2 HQ is defined in the standard SMPTE ST 2042-1:2017
- No need for external DDR
- Resolution scalability: decode a lower resolution version
- Slice-based processing for high flexibility/parallelization
- Region Of Interest/Activity Zone coding
- Reverse order decoding (from bottom to top)
- AV over IP SMPTE ST 2110 compliant with RTP payload format standardized in RFC 8450
- Zero latency: encoding-decoding latency of only 8 lines
- Supports the following video parameters and encoding modes
- Unrestricted resolution including SD, HD, 2K, 4K, 8K
- 4:4:4, 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 color subsampling
- Interlaced and progressive formats
- 2-pixel interleaved video interface for UHD
- From 8 up to 16 bits per pixel component (HDR Ready)
- Haar0 and Haar1 Discrete Wavelet Transform (DWT) with 1, 2 or 3 levels
- Asymmetric LeGall Discrete Wavelet Transform (DWT)
- Constant bit-rate encoding (CBR) with adjustable compression ratio
- Lossless and constant quality/variable bit-rate encoding (VBR)
- Capped VBR encoding with maximum slice size
- Intellectual Property & Licensing
- VC-2 and its parent, the Dirac codec, are not covered by any granted patents and hence can be used royalty-free. BBC has provided assurances that they will ensure no patents encumber use of the codec and have let relevant patent applications expire allowing for free and fair use of the codec.
- Viper – Custom OEM board for 4K HDMI AV over IP
- Silex Insight has designed and developed fully integrated boards that is perfect suited for VC-2 HQ codec and ultra-low latency audio/video over IP. The transmit and receive boards are production-ready and reduce the development cost of the system. Viper features high resolutions up to 4K/UHD over 1Gb, 2.5Gb, or 10Gb Ethernet cable. The HDMI video is transported over Ethernet after compression with the VC-2 HQ (or JPEG 2000 or another codec) video compression. More information www.silexinsight.com/products/video/viper-oem-4k-hdmi-ip/
- Low complexity for ASIC & FPGA
- No external DDR
- Extreme low latency - 0.0593 milliseconds!
- 100% image quality - lossless compression
- 8K ready and beyond
- SMPTE ST 2042 & ST 2110Standardized
- Patent free
- Netlist or source code
- Self-checking testbench
- Documentation (datasheet and integration guide)
- Scripts for synthesis
- Bit-exact model
- Video over IP
- 4K at 60fps over 10G link
- SDI mapping (SMPTE 2047)
- 3G-SDI over HD-SDI
- External memory bandwidth reduction
- Cabling infrastructure cost reduction
- Video storage size reduction
Block Diagram of the VC-2 High Quality video codec IP Core