The DesignWare Basic Universal DDR controllers consist of the Universal DDR Protocol Controller (uPCTL) and the Universal DDR Memory Controller (uMCTL), which support the JEDEC DDR3, DDR2, Mobile DDR, LPDDR2, and LPDDR3 SDRAM standards. For DDR4, LPDDR4 and more advanced features, see the Enhanced Universal DDR Memory Controller (uMCTL2).
The uPCTL serves the memory control needs of applications with simple transactions that do not require an internal scheduler, while the uMCTL accepts memory access requests from up to 16 application-side host ports.
All the Synopsys Universal controllers connect to PHYs via the industry-standard DFI interface, and all their registers may be accessed through industry-standard APB busses.
- Data rates up to 1600 Mbps in 1:1 frequency ratio, using an 800 MHz controller clock and 800 MHz memory clock (Dependent on process and PHY chosen)
- Select a complete multi-ported enhanced Universal DDR Memory Controller offering up to 16 host ports, or join a third-party scheduler to a single-port Enhanced Universal Memory Controller or Universal Protocol Controller
- Support for JEDEC standard DDR2, DDR3, LPDDR/Mobile DDR, LPDDR2, and LPDDR3 SDRAMs
- DFI 2.1 or DFI 3.1 compliant interface to DDR PHY (DFI 3.1 is backward compatible with DFI 2.1)
- Data rates up to 2133 Mbps in 1:2 frequency ratio, using an 533 MHz controller clock and 1066 MHz memory clock (Dependent on process and PHY chosen)
- coreAssembler tool for correct-by-construction subsystem assembly, configuration, synthesis and simulation (GUI or batch scripts); coreConsultant tool for single IP configuration, synthesis and simulation (GUI or batch scripts)
- Source Verilog RTL
- Configuration-customized, automated verification tests; unencrypted Verilog test environment
- Automated synthesis using coreAssembler/coreConsultant, including support for DFT insertion and low power synthesis
- Comprehensive databook covering features, configuration, integration, software programmers guide and coreAssembler tutorial