GSA Reports A Decerase in March Semiconductor Funding Activity
April 18, 2012
What: GSA Releases March 2012 Statistics from its Global Semiconductor Funding, IPO and M&A Update, including:
- In March 2012, venture investment dollars received by semiconductor companies (i.e., fabless companies, integrated device manufacturers (IDMs) and semiconductor suppliers) was $28.9 million; a 81.9% decrease month-over-month (MoM) and a 84.9% decrease year-over-year (YoY).
- 8 semiconductor companies received funding in March; a 42.9% decrease MoM and a 14.3% increase YoY.
- Of the eight companies that received funding, six were fabless companies and two were suppliers.
- March saw one semiconductor company receive a first round investment: Denmark-based Merus Audio.
- On March 14th, M/A-COM Technology Solutions Holdings announced the success of its initial public offering on the NASDAQ Global Select Market (ticker: MTSI).
- March also saw the Germany-based Novaled AG file with the SEC to raise up to $200 million in an initial public offering.
- In March, the total number of semiconductor mergers and acquisitions (M&As) announced (i.e., M&As involving entire fabless, IDM and semiconductor supplier companies, not sectors/product lines or foundry facilities) increased by six MoM and remained the same YoY.
- The largest M&A deal in March occurred when Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) completed the acquisition of SeaMicro for $334.0 million.
When: Now available at http://www.gsaglobal.org/publications/fundings/index.asp
The Global Semiconductor Alliance (GSA) mission is to accelerate the growth and increase the return on invested capital of the global semiconductor industry by fostering a more effective ecosystem through collaboration, integration and innovation. It addresses the challenges within the supply chain including IP, EDA/design, wafer manufacturing, test and packaging to enable industry-wide solutions. Providing a platform for meaningful global collaboration, the Alliance identifies and articulates market opportunities, encourages and supports entrepreneurship, and provides members with comprehensive and unique market intelligence. Members include companies throughout the supply chain representing 30 countries across the globe. www.gsaglobal.org
12,000 IP Cores from 400 Vendors
Most Popular (Updated Daily)