SMIC Reports 2012 Third Quarter Results
SHANGHAI, Nov. 5, 2012
-- Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (NYSE: SMI; SEHK: 981) ("SMIC" or the "Company"), one of the leading semiconductor foundries in the world, today announced its consolidated results of operations for the three months ended September 30, 2012.
Third Quarter 2012 Highlights:
- Quarterly revenue hit a record high of $461.2 million in 3Q12, which was up by 9.3% from $421.8 million in 2Q12 and grew by 50.3% year over year.
- Gross margin increased to 27.5% in 3Q12 compared to 24.1% in 2Q12, primarily due to continued improvements in manufacturing efficiency.
- Net cash flow generated from operations was $119.0 million in 3Q12, compared to $109.4 million in 2Q12.
- Income attributable to Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation increased to $12.0 million in 3Q12, compared to $7.1 million in 2Q12.
- Diluted EPS was $0.02 per ADS.
Fourth Quarter 2012 Guidance:
The following statements are forward looking statements which are based on current expectations and which involve risks and uncertainties, some of which are set forth under "Safe Harbor Statements" below.
- Revenue is expected to be flat to up 2%.
- Gross margin is expected to range from 18% to 20%.
- Operating expenses excluding the effect of foreign exchange and government R&D grants are expected to range from $70 million to $74 million.
Dr. Tzu-Yin Chiu, SMIC's Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director, commented, "SMIC has demonstrated another quarter of significant improvement. This management team came on board in the third quarter of 2011, and since then our capacity has grown 6% with 50% revenue growth. Our gross margin improved from 1.4% to 27.5%, and on the bottom-line we are back in the black. We are now three quarters through the year, and we anticipate that 2012 will mark a year of record-high revenue.
"In the past two quarters, we successfully achieved our short-term goal: to fully utilize our existing capacity and improve efficiency.
"Our medium-term goal of technology differentiation is on track. We've already seen the fruit of some initial results.
"And we are on track with our long-term objective, to continue advanced technology development to serve the expanding demand from the fast growing China market, while deepening our relationships with leading customers through quality and service.
"We anticipate flat to slight growth for the fourth quarter sequentially, as a result of our 65nm and 0.18um strength. I'd like to add that SMIC is in the right market and still benefiting from the rapid growth of the communications and consumer sectors in China. Because of SMIC's weight in these sectors, we are less sensitive to PC weakness, and we are currently benefiting from good exposure to feature phones, smart phones and tablets."
Conference Call / Webcast Announcement
Date: November 6, 2012
Time: 8:30 a.m. Shanghai time
Dial-in numbers and pass code:
- United States: 1-718-354-1231 (Pass code: SMIC)
- Hong Kong: 852-2475-0994 (Pass code: SMIC)
- China: 86-80-0819-0121 (Pass code: SMIC)
- Taiwan: 886-2-2650-7825 (Pass code: SMIC)
The call will be webcast live with audio at http://www.smics.com/eng/investors/ir_presentations.php, or at http://www.media-server.com/m/p/r2txwn4y
An archived version of the webcast, along with an electronic copy of this news release will be available on the SMIC website for a period of 12 months following the webcast.
For a complete version of "SMIC Reports 2012 Third Quarter Results," including financial tables, please go to the following link: http://www.prnasia.com/sa/attachment/2012/11/20121105202546451172.pdf
Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation ("SMIC"; NYSE: SMI; SEHK: 981) is one of the leading semiconductor foundries in the world and the largest and most advanced foundry in Mainland China, providing integrated circuit (IC) foundry and technology services at 0.35-micron to 40-nanometer. Headquartered in Shanghai, China, SMIC has a 300mm wafer fabrication facility ("fab") and three 200mm wafer fabs in its Shanghai mega-fab, two 300mm wafer fabs in its Beijing mega-fab, a 200mm wafer fab in Tianjin, and a 200mm fab under construction in Shenzhen. SMIC also has customer service and marketing offices in the U.S., Europe, Japan, and Taiwan, and a representative office in Hong Kong. In addition, SMIC manages and operates a 300mm wafer fab in Wuhan owned by Wuhan Xinxin Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporation.
For more information, please visit www.smics.com.